nedjelja, 2. kolovoza 2015.

" YOU CAN KILE MY BODY- BUT YOU CANOT KIL MY SPIRIT" Giuseppina Martinuzzi

Artist robbed of life's passion

By JODIE STEPHENS

March 27, 2015, 11:03 p.m.
PARKINSON’S disease robbed Launceston artist Brian Blanchard of his ability to paint about two years ago.
Artist Brian Blanchard has permanently loaned more than 60 art pieces to the Launceston General Hospital in an effort to raise funds for medical research.
  Picture: MARK JESSER
Artist Brian Blanchard has permanently loaned more than 60 art pieces to the Launceston General Hospital in an effort to raise funds for medical research. Picture: MARK JESSER
The Glenara Lakes Nursing Home resident’s hands don’t work like they used to, and he can’t get to his home and studio where paintings sit unfinished.
‘‘I’m still painting in my head all the time, it’s just my bloody arm won’t know what to do,’’ Blanchard said.
‘‘It’s left home.
‘‘I can’t hold the brush straight, and I can’t even pull a single grape from a bunch ... but my mind’s pretty good.’’
Blanchard’s experience with Parkinson’s has motivated him to permanently loan more than 60 art pieces to Launceston General Hospital, in an effort to raise funds for medical research.
The pieces, which will be displayed in the LGH’s Artrium Gallery and throughout the wards, will be for sale with proceeds shared between Blanchard and the hospital.
‘‘I thought I might be able to get some more money to look into Parkinson’s and other diseases, which really, there’s no excuse for us having these these days,’’ he said.
‘‘With all the brains in the world, we can go to the moon and do all sorts of things.’’
LGH visual arts committee chairman Paul Richards said the paintings would offer more than monetary value for the hospital.
Mr Richards said research had shown that art in hospitals had its own therapeutic benefits and could improve staff morale, reduce length of stay and contribute to reductions in medication.
Blanchard’s landscape and still life paintings were created over decades in Launceston, London and Sydney, where he taught at the Julie Ashton school and rubbed shoulders with renowned Australian artist Brett Whiteley.
‘‘I was always mad on art,’’ Blanchard said.
‘‘I just wanted to do nothing else but paint and draw, and that’s what I did all my life.
‘‘I’m not sorry I did it, it’s all I wanted to do, and I’d rather I did that than make money doing something I didn’t like.’’
Blanchard said he initially tried to overcome his Parkinson’s symptoms by working.
‘‘For years I held it back until I fell over and couldn’t get back up, and they took me to hospital and I’ve been in hospital on and off ever since,’’ Blanchard said.


  ***********************************************************************
From this blog
My dearest life friend & comrades Brian:
Allway with you- and allway will be!
The dodie could be kiled - but the human spirit-never.
Your Severino







‘‘It’s a bit of a negative thing but I’m not too fussed about it.’’

Nema komentara:

Objavi komentar